Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas in Purgatory or just Groundhog Day?

I promise I'll put on my happy face and write you all some more nice Amsterdam anecdotes this weekend. I have a nice story from a friend that I will post about Holland's favorite cookies: Stroopwafels.

If you want to read my depressing Christmas musings, highlight the text below, which I have blacked out in honor of those who don't want to be brought down. If not, I can't say I blame you in the slightest. Have a great Christmas!

I was hoping for a little warmth on Christmas. We got snow here in Holland. What a nice thing to wake up to on Christmas morning...only it's not Christmas morning, because we're waiting for my stepdaughter to get here before celebrating.

There are presents under the tree for everyone. Except me of course. Thankfully I had the foresight to buy myself some consolation prizes in place of being thought of; or even in place of the sense of obligation MOST partners feel to at least buy some kind of token gift. I grudgingly got a Christmas hug with about half the enthusiasm of hugging a friend's mother.

At least at my new job I get to hang out with people from all over the world who are just as homesick as I am. An English guy misses fish and chips; an East German misses the snow; everyone misses the people who cared about them.

I feel like I am being crushed by my own grief.
x

2 comments:

Ninabi said...

Christmas is good for little children but I'm not fond of it myself. Not at all. Comes at the crappiest, darkest time of the year and demands quite a bit out of people (usually mothers) with all the cooking, shopping, baking, cards, decorating.

I'm sorry you didn't have a better time of it.

As our kids are grown, we quit doing the holiday and it's been a great relief.

I hope 2010 is brighter and better for you.

daddy's girl said...

Hi Sue!
I quit loving xmas when I quit being a child.
All the greek big family gatherings has never been my thing and pretty much the same for me here as I remembered to get presents for everyone but not vice versa.
Just dont let the marketing skum get you down.
Xmas is for children
For lovers
For fools

It is as depressing as valentine's is for singles.

Mariza (Athens)